4/24/06

a simple note of thanks

Pat and I had the opportunity to write a letter to one of my best friends, Bryan, for a program he was going through this past weekend called The Great Banquet. As we were writing our letters to Bryan telling him how much we appreciated his friendship, it hit me, why don't we tell people this stuff more often?

I'm as guilty as anyone at not doing this too. I can't imagine how powerful it was for Bryan to read letters from friends and family. That had to do something amazing for him. I can remember at times writing appreciative notes or letters to people during changing times like graduations or weddings. But I wonder if it's the day-to-day times that someone needs encouragement and kind words more often? I know how much it means to me when Pat sends me a simple email just to tell me he loves me and thank you for something, etc. It lifts my spirits that day!

We get so busy that we just don't make time for this. We get so busy we even don't make time for those around us or it's hard to have enough time for everyone you want to spend it with. Jobs get in the way a lot! I miss having all that free time in college when you could just go over to a friend's place and hang out, not worrying about getting up early for work the next day or only having 4 hours in the evening to accomplish normal everyday errands and dinner, etc. College was a time you really could spend that time you wanted to with friends, if you choose to.

I don't think it's a lost cause now at this point in our lives, but it is just more difficult and you have to keep reminding yourself of that. I go weeks and weeks without seeing some of my closest friends and some of them live all over the country and even the world, but that bond is always there and we can pick right back up where we left off.

Still, I think I'll try to tell people more often a simple "thank you." Thank them for being them and that they are making an impact in my life.